DECORATING TENNIS GIRL



I'M SO GLAD YOU'RE HERE!!! COME ON IN AND VISIT FOR A BIT...

I am so glad you stopped by to visit. I read every one of your sweet comments. Come back and visit soon!

I hope you enjoy seeing photos of the Cape house, as much as I do living here :)





Friday, April 23, 2010

Garbo and Gilbert


Hi All,

I thought I might try a new post once in awhile called "Famous Couples Friday." I will post a picture of famous couples with a little history about them. Don't count me in for every Friday, but I will do this when time allows. Hope you enjoy my little "Famous Couple Friday" posts.

Today is Greta Garbo and John Gilbert. She was the actress from Sweden who became a great star in the 20's and 30's for MGM. He was the hearthrob across the nation. He was after Valentino and before Clark Gable, timewise.

He was very inlove with Garbo, and they starred in 3 or 4 films together. He asked her many times for her hand in marriage and she finally said "yes". The marriage would never happen and Garbo would never married. She reitred in the early 40's from the screen and settled in NYC for the rest of her life. Here is a picture of the two of them. Isn't she very modern looking.

Robin

6 comments:

  1. That was my first thought - she could step out of the photo and not cause an eyebrow to raise - very modern indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea! I'll be looking forward to these posts!

    They were a beautiful couple--thanks for sharing the story!

    Hope you're having a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have watched many of Garbo and Gilbert's movies on TCM. I'm a big Garbo fan. I love that she was so true to her nature and an early feminist. Have a great weekend Robin!!

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greta Garbo was one of the most beautiful actresses ever! Just the other day I found Grand Hotel in my stack of old movies, and I hope to watch it soon! Oh, and I love this idea, and hope you do it every Friday!
    Have a great weekend!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, ladies. I am such an old movie buff. I read about Garbo in a book about classic movies that I bought my Dad one year for Christmas, waaaayyy back in the 70's and I was hooked on old movies and movie stars! My Dad loves the movies, too, so I get it naturally :) Garbo was such a contrast to all the actresses of her time. She was tall, slender and very modern looking for the time period of the 20's and 30's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to your famous couples fridays!!! Happy weekend, Tennis Girl!! I'm off to play tennis tomorrow. Can't wait!

    Hugs, Kristin

    ReplyDelete